Work with EntityDataSource??

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:47 PM
Edited Oct 9, 2008 at 7:47 PM
1° - Sorry, but my english is very bad :-(
2° - Dynamic Data Filtering working with Dynamic Data Entities (EntityDataSource)?

Thanks
Coordinator
Oct 13, 2008 at 12:49 PM
Dynamic Data Filtering does not support the Entity Framework yet.  This would take an implementation of a DynamicEntityDataSource.  I will add it to the list of request features. Thank you for your feedback.
Apr 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM
I'd also like to use DDF with an Entity Data Source. I've got a DB with many-to-many relationships that aren't supported in LINQ to SQL, but I also need a robust text search capability like Josh's table text search detailed here in his blog.

Is there anything recent in the .NET 4.0 and Dynamic Data previews that addresses this issue? Or are there any other ways to use Dynamic Data against an EDM and have a text search feature? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks  
Aug 3, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Hello, I like Your filtering work very much - and have been waiting for the DynamicEntityDataSource component for a long time as well. But it does not seem that this project has any activity anymore. Did You perhaps start (or even finish...) some work on a DynamicEntityDataSource wich we could adapt to accomplish the task?

When trying to write an extension to an existing project, having some initial lines of codes from someone who knows what he's doing is always better than starting from scratch...

Thank You for Your help

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I looked into implementing a DynamicEntityDataSource last year and spoke with the some of the ASP.NET team members while at PDC.  We looked over some of the code and realized this was not really possible to accomplish with the current version of the EntityDataSource.    The issue is that the EntityDataSource does not expose the corrent protected and/or virtual members necessary.  The ASP.NET Dynamic Data team is working on capabilities similar to Dynamic Data Filtering and are workign with the Entity Framework team to allow for filtering extensibilty of the EntityDataSource. http://aspnet.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=27026  If the Dynamic Data team is able to convince the Entity Framework team to change the visibility of the EntityDataSource, I would be willing to revist this control.  Especially if there were others willing to contribute.

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:47 AM

Thank You. Hope there will be a good solution available soon.

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:00 AM

My current workaround is to use the LinqDataSource against the EntityFramework container, with the QueryExtender from the DynamicData Preview.

This works for my read-only Grid pages. Once EntityDataSource supports QueryExtender you can replace the LinqDataSource with it.